New Year in Tokyo I

 I flew back to Tokyo the day before New Year`s Eve, and it was a much more painful journey from Narita Airport to Ueno Station with my suitcase which had been half-empty on my way to Australia, and was then overfull coming back.  To make matters worse, my suitcase is the old-fashioned rectangular kind which is really meant to be carried, but also has wheels on one corner and a handle on the corner diagonally opposite.  This allows you to drag the suitcase alongside you by walking in a hunched manner, bearing most of the weight of the case, trying not to hit yourself in the leg with it and praying that the handle won`t break.

I met my friend Karen at the Station and we walked back to the hotel she was staying in with her aunt.  There were a few people from Ishikawa spending the New Year in Tokyo, so while we all did our own thing during the day (being spread out around the different areas in the city), we had all planned to meet up on New Year`s Eve.  Karen`s aunt took a day trip to Kamakura, an hour south of Tokyo, while Karen helped me colour my hair with some dye I bought in Australia.  We wandered around the market in Ueno which was chock full of people doing their New Year`s grocery shopping.  It had the same kind of frenetic activity as you might see on Christmas Eve in a supermarket when people realise they`ve forgotten the soft drinks or icecream for the Christmas dinner. 

Many different food shops were tucked into the narrow streets around the overhead trainlines.  The alleys were so narrow and there were so many people that there were two lines of people walking in opposite directions, effectively barring any way to cross the street.  Getting to the kebab shop on the other side required some planning.  Karen managed to dart through an ephemeral opening in the line of people, but I was too slow.  I allowed myself to be carried on with the current of people past the kebab shop until I seized the opportunity to jump into the queue on the other side which brought me back outside the shop when I was able to exit the queue and buy my lunch.

The sun was setting in a clear sky when we reached the Mori Tower in Roppongi. This houses an observatory and renowned museum on the top floors. Many of the museums in Tokyo were closed for the New Year season, but this wasn`t. There were two exhibitions on – one about an architectural movement called Metabolism, and one on the ukiyo-e artist Kuniyoshi. We bought tickets for the Metabolism exhibition but I planned on coming back to the Kuniyoshi exhibition on New Year`s Day. The time and weather were perfect for a view of Tokyo; we could see Tokyo Tower and out to the bay. Karen and I became separated in the exhibition as I always take ages wandering around museums, because I never realise how big they are. An hour after we had gone in, I got a text from Karen saying she was outside and that we should probably head back to the hotel to meet her aunt and get ready for the evening. To my dismay as I quickly exited the exhibition, I realised that I hadn`t even gotten through half of it! I went back on my own the next day to see the rest.

We met up with some people for dinner, and then met up with more when we went to Zojoji Temple near Tokyo Tower for midnight. The tower was lit up with its usual yellow light during the evening until it was nearing midnight and it went black. People at the temple were given clear, eco-friendly balloons to which they could attach a piece of paper with a wish written on it for the New Year, but unfortunately we arrived too late to get one. As the countdown began, glittering lights started to rise up the length of the tower and at the stroke of midnight the tower lit up with the year, the balloons were released, and the temple bells started ringing. It seemed strange that there were no fireworks, but in Japan firework displays are only held during the summer.

Afterwards we had intended to go to Ageha, the biggest club in Asia apparently, but we had learned earlier that day that admission would cost \8,000 and we weren`t so keen then. Having no plans, we wandered around the area, trying to find a bar with space, but to no avail. In the end we decided on karaoke, which I had not yet done since coming to Japan. Fun was had, though we did end up going to bed at a reasonable hour and missing the first sunrise of the year.

On New Year`s Day, after a hearty brunch of ramen, we went to Yoyogi Park in the hopes of seeing the Elvis dancers who usually appear there on Sunday afternoons. Alas, they must have taken New Year`s Day off, but regardless, it was pleasant to take a walk in the park. And our excursion wasn`t without its strange dancers, as amid the trees we came across a troop of people in fancy dress, practicing moves to a J-pop song.

Yoyogi Park is right beside the Meiji Shrine which is one of Japan`s most popular shrines, but we didn`t visit it because of the crowds; in the first few days of the New Year, over three million visitors come to the shrine. Instead we wandered around some shops in the Shibuya shopping area and then stopped for a drink in a café that had a good view onto a street that was lined with stalls selling festival food, like takoyaki (octopus dough balls), yakisoba (fried noodles) and okonomiyaki (Japanese pancakes). While we were sitting drinking coffee and people-watching, we felt our building shake. It was as if a large passing truck was causing the vibrations, but we knew they were too strong to be caused by something like that. It was strange to experience an earthquake in the daytime, with nobody on the street paying any notice to it. Afterwards we went our separate ways and I went back to the Mori museum to visit both exhibitions, which I won`t go into here as that would need another post.

Above: Dangerous behaviour on the Tokyo subway platform
Below: Artworks dotted around the hotel I stayed at

2 thoughts on “New Year in Tokyo I

  1. Can’t say I fancy your healthy brunch, but he rest of your pictures are brilliant. Great that your getting so much out of your stay in Japan. Hope you had a great birthday and that Mam, Dad, the girls and yourself have a lovely reunion and make a host of fabulous memories together. x

    • Thanks for all your comments and I’m glad you’re liking the blog, I’ll do a post on the family trip eventually but I have a few more wintery ones to put up first so hang in there!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.